Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ode to History

My interest for you sparked
In the sixth grade
Your many colours and shades
Intrigued me
Whenever I looked closer, put my glasses on
You only became foggier

I followed you at the hunt across the Bering Strait
I followed you onto a ship in chains
I followed you through bloody snow, across the Delaware
I followed you into the White  House, where young men glared through plaster dust
I followed you from Georgia to Arkansas
And I cried too
I followed you into the forest at night, where dead black faces whispered beware
I followed you to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
I followed you to the back of the bus, to the front of the bus
To jail
I followed you around the railroads, we saw many a man get killed
I followed you to Montgomery, and to Washington DC
I followed you to Pearl Harbor
I followed you into kindergarten that day-- we were singing the Japanese alphabet...
When the city exploded
I followed you into a hijacked plane headed to the capital
It crashed in Pennsylvania
I followed you up a tower, where we could smell burning flesh
I followed you through the smoke of Ferguson Missouri

Well, friend, let me tell you something
Now it's my turn to lead


No comments:

Post a Comment